Wednesday, September 3, 2014

From nowhere to nothing....


I walk dirt roads that sometimes lead to nowhere........I love "nowhere".....Letting my mind wander along with my feet I see things I wouldn't see if I was riding in a car.  I hear things that I wouldn't be able to hear as the sound of music coming over the radio stops it.  I feel the breeze on my skin, the sun on my face.............this is what nowhere feels like.  It's also what "nothing" feels like........nothing feels pretty darn good.  There's "nothing" quite like the feeling of nothing........I have nothing to do but listen.  I have nothing to do but see what's all around me.  I have nothing to do but absorb it all.




I may not be up with the farmers who bale the hay, let the horses out into pasture, or milk the cows that now graze in the fields....I hope they don't mind me sharing the same air space as them, soaking up the smell of the hay drying in the fields, listening to the cows calling to each other, or the sound of a horse running wild and free in a pasture.........it beats the sounds of cars whizzing by, horns honking, sirens blaring, and car alarms going off...........



I love this area of Utah and Wyoming.  My ancestors were part of this range land.  Sometimes I wonder why my father decided to move to the "big" city instead of following in his daddy's footsteps and continue ranching............I'll never find out.  They are questions that will remain unanswered.  I should have asked a long time ago when I was young and foolish. Now that I am older, but no less wiser, I often wonder what my life would have been like if I had been raised on a farm........would I have liked it?  Would I have hated the rural, hard working, sweat driven life?  I do know that I appreciate more now than ever, the people who continue to do ranching and farming.

An out building on a parcel of land that is slowly
falling apart. The only signs of life are the wildflowers
that seem to bring a little color to the old, worn out
building..........




I want to spread a blanket out, lay down and watch the sky fill with puffy, cotton filled clouds that I feel like I could reach out and hold them.  I want to lay down on that blanket and watch the jets fly over head, thousands of miles up in the sky, letting out contrails that leave you wondering where it's headed as it leaves the trail behind it.......I want to lay down on that blanket and hope to hell that someone is there to help me up............It's the pits to wave bye bye to your youth and let old age creep in...........




Twitter @CotySimon
Instagram/Howunique310

1 comment:

  1. This is what life is all about. I love how you make me see what you write. And I love places like this. My family were farmers and I remember all the times we went out to the farm in Nebraska. It is as you have described it. Nothing does feel like this. And it feels absolutely wonderful! Thank you Coty.

    ReplyDelete