Thursday, October 17, 2013

Eyes on the road

It's time for a road trip - enjoy the ride

We're not lost, we're locationally challenged

Take the backwoods instead of the highways

Road Trips are not measured by mile markers, 
but by moments

A good traveler has no fixed plans 
AND
is not intent on arriving

When you come to a fork in a road
TAKE IT!

The scenic route

Joy Ride

These are all sayings from a sticker page.  A sticker page you use for scrap booking, placing on picture frames to document your picture, your travels,  or whatever your heart desires to use them for.   Thanks to a wonderful twitter friend, she turned me on to these wonderful little ditties.........

I love to travel...I love road trips....I love to head off and venture into the unknown.  Seek out places I have never been to.......I love road trips. 


*************************

It's Sunday, October 13....time for my road trip to begin.  What was supposed to be a fun, family filled mini vacay, is now just me, myself, and I and my humans middle son.  The husband cannot make it, oldest boy is sick, and youngest is in Arizona still.  Too bad, it's their loss.....not letting the stay at home family nor the government shut down ruin this trip........





When driving down a road, rounding a bend, and you come across a stunning rainbow right there in front of you, you just know that it's a good sign, a good omen that the trip is all going to be worth it, regardless.  

The rainbow had every color so vividly represented it was jaw dropping.  It stretched from one side of the road to the other.  All that was missing was the pot of gold. 






The rain changed to snow the closer we got to West Yellowstone.   Snowflakes the size of cotton balls fell from the sky as we pulled into town.  The town appeared deserted.  No one was around.  No cars, no people, just neon signs from businesses still open.  Normally, it would be bumper to bumper with cars, motorhomes, trucks, trailers, and people. 




Not now....You can walk down the middle of the road free as a bird with no threat of being hit by any vehicle in site.  It's sad to not see the roads filled with vehicles, and the sidewalks brimming with tourists.  Government shut down is turning into a melt down for a lot of people...........makes me sad.........

Monday October 14...





Brrrrrr........it's cold outside and the parks are still shut down.  Oh, well.  Browsed the shops of those that are still open.  Chatted with one store owner who was hungry for conversation.  I guess we were the only customers he's had for days now.  Nice guy.  Picked his brain on what we could do since the park is closed.  Told us about a few places heading north outside the town towards Bozeman, Montana where the moose are thick and the big horn sheep are in abundance.  Tomorrow we will do that. I have yet to see a big horn sheep.  Would be nice to cross that animal off my bucket list..........

Found a huge, old water tank.  I never new I could take pictures so fast.  My hands had frozen digits on them when I got through.  Of course, the gloves I brought were back at our hideaway. So far, this vacay has been fun, cold, and snowy.  It was another good day............





Tuesday, October 15....

We decided last night to head out at first light so we could see the moose, elk, and big horn sheep.  Our intentions  were good!!!  Didn't happen at first light.  We did go north though. The pine trees are thick, snow covering the branches, and the sky a beautiful blue that peeks through when the high puffy clouds part.  Funny thing is, it's 20 miles of Yellowstone park that the government cannot shut down.  Oh, darn.  No geysers, blow holes, mud pots, or hot pools were around though.  Just pine trees. lots and lots of pine trees.    



Big Sky is so majestic I couldn't get enough of it.  It reminds me of Park City, Utah, before it became a destination spot and filled to the brim with multi million dollar plus homes and too many people.   It was quiet up there.  It won't be that way once ski season starts.  I'm glad that I got to taste the serenity, the peacefulness it offers.  For right now, snow is not a dirty, four letter word for me.  (it will be soon enough!)


Once out of the mountain passes, it opens up to land that you can see forever.  Bozeman, Montana is a town all by itself.  As soon as we could, we got off the path most traveled and we headed for the dirt roads that would take us to nowhere, USA.  The fall colors were just about done, but that didn't matter.  


We went from snow to nothing but gorgeous fall colors.  Taking the left turn off the main road and we found ourselves in a different world.  I'm glad we did.  I would have missed this beautiful site.  Found solace in a cemetary.  Creepy as that may sound, it's peaceful there.  You can look at peoples lives carved on a headstone.  Some who lived and died over 150 years ago.  



Wednesday, October 16...

It's time to go home.  It wasn't a total bust with the government shut down.  You make do with what you have and what I had before me was a land full of mystery just waiting to be explored.  You can take pictures anywhere.  I saw people and places I wouldn't have seen if my direct route had not been taken away from me.  Sometimes the road  you see ahead, isn't the one you need to take.  I took a left turn and found life still exists, it still moves on...



ROAD TRIPS ARE NOT MEASURED 
BY MILE MARKERS
BUT
BY MEMORIES

I'm still upset with our government taking valuable land, shutting it down, and making lives hell for people who rely on the tourists to drop a dime in their stores.  I could only do so much.  I'll be back to this place and maybe by then, I can join forces with all the other tourists and see Yellowstone in it's glory.  I love Yellowstone.............. 

Twitter @CotySimon
Instagram.com - Howunique310

No comments:

Post a Comment