Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Regifting a memory....

Each day after this past Christmas, I am finding myself laughing out loud...... a lot.......it was a good Christmas to say the least.

It's been a tradition for many years now to pass out the presents to everyone, then each one of us take turns and opens a gift, we oooh and awwww over it, then the next person selects a gift and opens theirs and so on down the line......we still tear into the paper, wad it up and throw it....that will never change.

I grew up with my Mother telling me to carefully remove the tape from the end of the package and to NOT tear the paper.  She would reuse the paper the following year.  As an adult I can see her point of saving the paper.  Money was tight and reusing anything and everything was the way of our household.  As a child I wanted so badly to rip and tear in to whatever gem was hidden.  I wanted to see what was inside now, not 10 minutes later..........

Saving wrapping paper in this household was never done.......ripping away was the only way to get inside the package.  I did used a lot of scotch tape and ribbon to tie up the packages, that scissors were necessary to open such treasures that they held............it may have been cruel for the kids, but it sure was fun to see them tackle them.......it also drew out the opening of gifts.  Instead of 10 seconds and we're done opening, we could enjoy the gift opening for 30 minutes...tops!!!

Which leads me to what I was really trying to say............Christmas was fun this year.  I missed our youngest boy not being here and sharing in the festivities, so having 2 out of the 3 kids around was fine..........

As we passed out the gifts, I noticed that several of mine were wrapped "differently" and in odd shapes.  I shook the gifts like a little kid to see if they rattled and sure enough, they did.  Upon opening the first gift of unusual proportion, it happened to be one of the plastic bowls I had sent home with this child that had left over food in it.  Inside was my treasure............licorice!!!  I opened another present when it was my turn and sure enough, there was another bowl with another fine gift nestled inside..........the point being..........I am still laughing at the ingenious way he decided to wrap his gifts and "using" something that was mine already.  It really is a kindness to return something that has had food in it to that person with food right back to them.  This he did......it was hilarious that he would give me back my own things........this is regifting taken to the next level........... our middle child nailed it with packaging this year.  He gets the trophy..........

My only regret is I didn't take any pictures to document it.......my bad....oh, well...........I learned a lesson...........


CotySimon@Twitter.com
Instagram/Howunique310.com

No comments:

Post a Comment