Friday, March 14, 2014

Eyes on the race....

Winter has been a beastly one for many people.  Started out that way for me.  Cold, snowy, foggy, with stagnant air inversions that leave you breathless, and not in a good way.  Then Mother Nature decided enough was enough.  She made winter go away and brought us a tease of spring.  Here in Utah, the saying goes, "wait 15 minutes, and the weather will change".  I guess Mother Nature is having her 15 minutes of fame..............I found this out to still be true when the hubby and I traveled to Las Vegas last week for the Nascar races.  Something HE wanted to check off his bucket list..........

We left the Salt Lake Valley under cloudy skies.  No rain, no snow.  Just clouds.  The further south we traveled, the clouds began to break away and revealed snow covered mountains enveloped by huge puffy clouds that I almost felt I could reach up and touch.  They were that low. Traveling 80 mph, I was amazed how well my itty bitty IPhone captured the scenery.


Approximately 1 1/2 hours south of Salt Lake City, the scenery starts to change.
Cattle farms, lavender farms, apple orchards....then nothing
but wide open spaces in all directions.  Small towns nestled up against
the mountains, that once were on a map to be traveled
through, are now bypassed by a freeway.  Its these roads less traveled
that I like to take.  I like driving through small town America.  As the weather
warms up, I'll be heading for those forgotten towns.....






Driving farther south on Utah's freeways, the climate changes, the
terrain changes, and the altitude changes.  You go from 5500 feet above
sea level to about 2000 feet and lower in southern Utah. It's
a perfect climate for people who "fly" south for the winter.
These pics are taken in a canyon just outside of St. George, Utah, heading towards
Las Vegas which for me, means I'm only 2 hours away to cocktail time!







Nascar racing was in Las Vegas this past weekend.  It's something the hubs needed to check off his bucket list.  He's not getting any younger.  My human host isn't either!!  (I'm the kid inside that refuses to grow up).  He was given the opportunity to go, bring the wifey along, and enjoy several days of racing with all-access passes to everywhere on the speedway, and sit in a cool comfortable suite.  He hit a jackpot with this deal.  One he couldn't want to pass up.




I was in 7th heaven going.  I do like to watch the races and I'm a fan of several drivers, too.  But that is not what thrilled me.  It was being able to take pictures.  Lots and lots of pictures.  Between my camera and cell phone, I took well over 400 shots.  When I told the hubby how many I took, he just smiled.  When I told him I would probably delete 99% of them, that's when his mouth dropped.  For the first time in my picture taking history, I should use him for final say on which ones to delete.........Will I do that?  Probably not.  Only because once I show him the race pictures that I did save, he'll know that I used good judgement.  You take a lot of pictures so you have a choice to pick from.  Some good, some bad, some okay, some just right..........As much as I would love to save every one for him, I can't.  I may take 10 shots of the same thing, and only get 1 good one.  Or maybe nothing.........

It was a fun, fast moving weekend, literally.  It was loud.  Very loud.  Thank goodness for ear plugs.  you definitely need them.





I learned a lot.  I learned that the pit crew is a well oiled bunch of not to bad looking guys to glance at, that keep the cars and engines in tip top shape.  I marveled at the speed, rhythm and how efficient they were when the car came in for a pit stop during the race.  New tires, windows washed, gas.......why can't service on our own vehicles be this fast?  I remember those days long ago when the men in the white uniforms and hats could come out as soon as you drove over the black cord that was on the pavement in front of the pumps.  It triggered a bell inside the station that a driver was here and ready to be taken care.  They came out, several at a time. Rubbing grease off their hands with a blue cloth that stuck out of their back pocket.  One washed your windows.  One checked under the hood of the car.  Did you need oil?  Did you need more water in your radiator?  If so, they filled it.  Another asked, what kind of gas do you want?  Fill it?   Which kind, regular or ethyl?.......not anymore, well...some states still do that.  Watching them do all those things for the drivers here, brought back some memories of the good old days.  I can say old because I am getting older......like just now another minute passed by me.  I'm another second, another minute, another day older, but none the wiser..........



Winning was close for Dale Earnhardt Jr, but so far away when you
run out of gas and the fumes can't carry you across
the threshold! 

Winner of both days races.....
Brad Keselowoski

Nothing clears your sinuses out better than the
smell of burning rubber.  The drivers show
of appreciation for winning.  Burning rubber and
raising and waving our American flag!!!.
Well done, Brad.  Well done......

I took a number of pics of the drivers cars.  Fun cars so colorful, and
displaying the sponsors they drive for.  When I saw this car, and it's
the local Vegas boys car, I kept expecting to see Juan Pablo come flying out of
nowhere and leap onto the hood.......I'm hoping the yellow M & M on the
hood of this race car will forever erase the imagine I have with Juan
Pablo and the yellow M & M.  I afraid I will never look at a yellow M & M the same
again, let alone eat 'em.  


It was a fun 4 day weekend.  I'm glad we went.  It was loud, fast, and I met a lot of fun and interesting people.  Walking around the speedway grounds,  I was amazed how big it is.  I needed a nap after our waltz around it!!  I appreciate the hard work those guys do.  The energy level is so infectious you cannot help but get excited and get pumped up.  I'm amazed how detailed the pit crew is.  How efficient they are in keeping the cars running properly, changing tires, putting gas in......all in a matter of seconds.  Amazing......Fortunately, no accidents on either days of racing.  Only a blown engine on Saturday, and a tire blow out.  I'm glad everyone came through alive and well.......

These are not the kind of pics I like to take, but I am always open to new adventures which give me opportunities to snap away.  I'll make a book for the hubs with these and other pictures, and he can always be reminded of the weekend he checked off another item on his bucket list............

Thank you for reading my blog.  I hope my journeys bring a smile to your face.........come with me.....I'm headed to Phoenix.  It's time to bond with my baby boy............no telling what kind of trouble I will get into now!



Twitter@CotySimon
Instagram/Howunique310



No comments:

Post a Comment