Monday, August 26, 2013

Summers ending

Last week I headed to the mountains to suck in the cool crisp air and to cleanse my brain of all that matters not.  This is an end of summer brain rejuvenation that I take every year to Bear Lake.  It's my last hurrah to grab my camera, Charlie the dog, and enjoy the last moments of my summer.  Summer has come to an end.

I've been heading to the lake for eons.   Bear Lake in northern Utah, is what Lake Powell is to southern Utah.  Convenient and fun places to go to exercise your prowess on wave runners, water skies, wake surfing, paddle boating........the list can go on and on.



This was a good week to clear the mind of all things that didn't matter and to concentrate and build on what does matter.  The previous week my human host spent a great deal of time thinking about life in general.  How in a blink of an eye, it can be taken away from you, or turned upside down.   I'm pretty sure she's learning to not sweat the small stuff anymore.  She's learning to wake up each morning and be grateful that the eyes still open and they see it's the dawn of a new day.  Opening the eyes is the easy part....it's rolling out of bed and listening to all the bones snap to attention as she tries to work out all the kinks, that is the hard part.........spending a week in a trailer, on a bed that is hard as a rock, really does wonders for making you a physical wreck..........I think she needs another vacation to recoup.




Being up at the lake, the weekends bring the crowds, but during the week, the beach is ours for the most part.  I love the early mornings.  My human host rises before the dawn, grabs the camera, a hot cup of coffee and heads to the beach with Charlie the Dog in tow.  It's quiet and peaceful.  Seeing the sun peek over the mountains first thing in the morning is something that I never get tired of looking at.  The air is crisp that time of the morning, but as soon as the sun starts to rise, the air immediately shakes off the night time chills and warms up.  You immediately feel the difference in temperature.


Since Charlie the Dog is my designated alarm, I'd head to the beach and hopefully catch some amazing sunrises.  I did snap some beautiful sunrises, except for one.  And, of course, that was the prettiest.  I opened the trailer door, and looked out to the most amazing red cloud filled sky.  Over the mountains as the sun started to make it's way up, the sky was bright orange with colors graduating upwards into reds, then fading to pinks...........By the time we hit the beach it was gone.  Not a trace of color in the sky..........I wasn't meant to get that sunrise I guess.  Damn!!!........You snooze, you lose......and I did..........Damn, damn.........

I had 8 sunrises, but missed only one..............





I love the sound of the rain hitting the roof of our 4-star accommodation, a trailer.   The rain for the most part held off until evening and during the night while we slept.  I'd wake up to it hitting the roof at a steady pace.  I'd lay there thinking what we left uncovered and would I wake up to a soggy mess.  I guess I didn't care, as the sound and steady rhythm of the rain lulled me right back to sleep.  








Sunsets on the lake can be pretty amazing, too.  One night the boys and I headed over to the east side of the lake.  The east shores of the lake are pretty rocky.  Not much of a beach area for people to enjoy. The sunset this night was not an amazing one, but the lighting just before a sunset is. 



The best part of this whole lake experience is watching two of my boys snap away pictures and build memories of this trip for themselves.  They are pretty amazing photographers in their own right.  They have developed that third eye that sees beauty in everything, too.   This inner child, I'll settle for just being a picture taker.  

For some one who has traveled to this area year after year for many years, I still find places that I have never been to.  Back roads and dirt roads.  You can be in a place where you hear cars and trucks traveling down the road, and in a matter of minutes, be some where you can hear yourself think.  It's so quiet that you hear the wings of insects fluttering by.  It's eerie, but calming also.  I found a somewhat crooked road with power poles lining the side of it.  The wind was a steady breeze and as it passed through the insulators on the power pole, a whistling sound could be heard.  For a brief moment, none of us could figure out where it was coming from until..........as I have said......look up or you will miss what's going on around you.  Duh!!!  I looked up and then could tell that the music we could hear from nature, was actually coming from the power poles.


I drank coffee, took pictures, walked Charlie the Dog, read, watched chick flicks and listened to the rain beat down on the roof of the trailer.  Beach time was limited.  Mother Nature was determined to spread moisture across the lake and beach.



During morning walks with Charlie the dog on the beach, I found the tiniest shells, old homes of some kind of water critter.  I add them to my plastic bag of found objects so when its raining hard outside, it gives me something to spread out on a table and take pictures of them.  The are so tiny.  What lived inside of these shells?  

To give me some scale, the shell sits on a dime. A tiny, beautiful shell. 


Not to be left out, the rest of the shell family joins the little one........

It rained, the wind blew, the power went out, and it was a bit nippy at night.  But, when the clouds parted a full moon or something close to it rose in the east and made it all that much more spectacular and wonderful to be where I was at........my slice of heaven......Bear Lake, Utah........A place where you can hear yourself think out loud.............



On my last morning, I raised my coffee mug, said a silent prayer.  I'm grateful for the time I had at this lake.  I'm grateful for the time I get to spend with my boys.  Hopefully, next year, my baby boy will be able to join us again.  It's been tough these last few years as he's been in Arizona, going to school.  He graduates in 2 weeks.  This has been a long road for him.  But, he's where he wants to be, and is doing what he has always wanted to do.  I'm a proud mamma.  


Until next time, goodbye Bear Lake...................Charlie the dog, my family, and friends who joined us this year, we'll be back.  

It's back to the real world......eat, sleep, work, repeat..........


twitter@CotySimon
Instagram - Howunique310

1 comment: